About Dr. Kalika
Dr. Lev Kalika has revolutionized the methodology of treating back pain and other motor disorders by introducing Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization (DNS) at his Upper East Side practice. The results of this new method are quicker, more powerful and longer lasting.
“If disorders of movement are what we aim to treat, then we should learn where, when and how the movement originates and how it is controlled in the brain. This can only be inferred from studying developmental kinesiology and understanding how the postural system develops and how it is maintained throughout the life on an individual.” -Karel Lewit
Kalika developed a strong passion for movement and body mechanics when his brother opened the first body building gym in their home city of Odessa. Kalika was a medical student at university when body building was beginning to surface in the post Soviet Ukraine. As literature was scarce, Kalika taught himself English in order to read the imported body building magazines and study everything he could find on the culture of body motion. He was very interested in the role of the Central Nervous System and how different muscle groups interacted with each other and the rest of the body.
In 1993 he moved to the United States to continue his medical studies. At one point he developed chest pains that baffled several doctors, until a friend recommended he see a chiropractor; he took the advice. After several sessions Kalikas condition began to improve. It was then that Kalika realized chiropractic methods appealed to him more than conventional medicine as it addressed the cause of the pain rather than the manifestations.
Dr. Kalika moved to Chicago where he enrolled in the Chiropractic College. While exploring various programs to advance his studies, he found little on the subject of the Central Nervous System among the chiropractic postgraduate programs that were available in the US. There were courses on conventional medical neurology and orthopedics, but none on the functional type of medicine that he wanted to learn.
From 1997-1998 – Dr. Kalika received fellowship in Manual Medicine in Motol Hospital, Prague, Czech Republic under prof. Karel Lewit MD. He studied numerous courses in the field of physical medicine and rehabilitation in Charles University Hospital, Prague, Czech Republic – prof. Vladimir Janda MD); he also mastered numerous postgraduate courses as well as years of personal experience with world renowned physiotherapist in the field of back pain and sports medicine prof. Pavel Kolar ( creator of DNS)
DNS ( Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization) method certified in 2008. He is the first practitioner on East cost certified in this ground breaking approach. From 2002-2003 he also received his Vojta therapy certification.
While digging further, Kalika purchased a copy Karel Lewits book, Manipulative Therapy in Rehabilitation of the Locomotor System. Lewit, a world famous neurologist, is regarded as the godfather of manual medicine in Europe and his book is said to be the bible of manual medicine.
With his Eastern European background and sheer luck Kalika was able to secure a fellowship with Dr. Lewit at the Motol Hospital in Prague at the Czech School of Manual Medicine led by Professor Lewit and Professor Vladimir Janda. He spent precious time with Professor Janda, hailed as the world leader of rational therapy in musculoskeletal medicine and rehabilitation. Kalika also met Dr. Pavel Kolar, an extraordinary scientist and practitioner, who developed the Dynamic Neuromuscular Rehabilitation Method.
“When I observed his treatment procedures and saw how instantaneous the results were, it became clear to me that this was my next step.”
Through studies of Dr. Kolars method, Kalika realized that treatment in the US for back pain (as opposed to Europe), was clearly misunderstood throughout the medical and chiropractic professions. Dr. Kalika is very proud to be the first practitioner on the East Coast to have the privilege of introducing this methodology that will revolutionize the way back pain and other locomotor dysfunctions are regarded and treated.
Dr. Kalika is currently certified and is a member of:
- Dr. Kalika is registered by ARDMS (The American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography) by passing 1st ever MSK ( muskuloskeletal diagnostic ultrasound) examination in USA.
- Dr.Kalika has studied Musculoskeletal Diagnostic Ultrasound under European renowned experts in orthopedic radiology prof. Alexander Kinzersky MD ( Chelyabinsk , Russia) and Anna Vovchenko MD National Orthopedic Institute ( Kiev , Ukraine)
- AIUM ( American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine)
- Active member of ISMST ( international society of extra corporeal shockwave therapy)
- Active member of GCMAS ( gait and clinical movement analysis society)
- Active member of NASS ( north American spine society)
- Active member of IADMS ( International Association of dance medicine and science
- Active member of Virtual rehabilitation society
- Over hundred postgraduate courses in the field of back pain,sports medicine ,gait and neuromuscular , neurological and orthopedic rehabilitation
Dr.Kalika utilizes variety of different Manual Medicine, Physical Therapy, Osteopathic approaches which he learns directly from world renowned experts or has taken extensive formal training and certifications:
- DNS ( Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization according to Kolar)
- Vladimir Janda ( Muscle Imbalance Syndromes Approach
- Manual Therapy Approach by Karel Lewit
- ISM ( Integrated System Approach by Diane Lee and L.J Lee)
- MSI ( Movement System Impairment Approach by Shirley Saharmann)
- Mojisova approach
- BPP by Jarmila Capova
- KLAP Crawling
- Muscle Energy Technique
- Vojta Therapy ( Treatment of neurological disorders in adults and children)
- CranioSacral therapy
- Feldenkrais Approach
- Christopher Powers Approach of return to sports and rehabilitation of PFPS ( patella femoral pain syndromes) and sports related knee injuries.
- Gait analysis and gait rehabilitation for runners and patients with orthopedic problems in lower extremities
- Dynamic Alignment Through Imagery ( Erick Franklyn) – ballet dance medicine
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy
- ART ( Active Release Technique)
- RUSI ( Rehabilitative Ultrasound Imaging) for diagnosis and training of deep stabilizing system
- Myofascial release
- Positional Release
- SEMG ( surface electromyography retraining for TMJ and headache disorders)
Dr.Kalika is the first doctor in US to bring ground breaking technological approach of Virtual Reality rehabilitation to patients outside of military . ( opening in August)